Thursday, October 26, 2006

Breaking Point

For the first time in years working for my company, I reached my breaking point yesterday. I'm notorious in my group for being a workaholic and working long hours and well, sort of patient in dealing with a lot of things. I work in IT operations and my job is all about proactively preventing problems, fixing problems and trying to figure out how to make things better for the user community.

This week has been hell for me. Yesterday, I just could not bear hearing another complaint from anyone especially from people in my group. Each time someone from my group approached my desk, I would ask them if they were going to complain and if they had complaints, go take a number or get in line because I just could not deal with it.

I'm a problem solver. I have a one track mind when it comes to solving issues that my group is dealing with. If there is a problem, I fix it period. I have lost count of the number of times that I was told by the higher-ups to just go and take care of the problem -- just make it disappear. They don't care how I would do it as long as the end all is the problem has been resolved. One of our users told me today that I am the "super" problem solver that's why they come to me to take care of things. Maybe I do have some sort of super hero complex after all...

No comments: