Sunday, May 21, 2006

Bay to Breakers 2006

I survived Bay to Breakers! For those who don't know what Bay to Breakers is, it's a 7.46 mile (12k) run/walk that starts at one end of San Francisco and cuts across the city and ends at the beach. It's pretty much the biggest street party in San Francisco. People run in different states of dress (some in costumes) and undress (naked with just a bright green hat and running shoes).

I had so much fun doing it this year. A friend of mine and her husband ran (ok, more like walked) it with me. We had such a blast and pictures to prove it! At the starting line, there were beach balls and tortillas flying all over the place. It was impossible not to get hit by either one. While running/walking, we saw the four emus, the running Elvises, a celtic priest, nuns, the Flintsones, smurfs, spawning salmon, Mona Lisa/Da Vinci code, the Storm Troopers from Star Wars, Noah's Ark, a Wells Fargo semi trailer being pushed up on Hayes Street, beer kegs in shopping carts being pushed along the race course and lots and lots of naked people. In the beginning, we were on the look out for naked people. After a while, we just got so desensitized and didn't really care. Although, everytime we were behind a naked person, we would run and try to overtake them. We just didn't feel like looking at their butts the entire time.

Last time I ran/walked Bay to Breakers was in 2000. I also ran it with a friend of mine. I clocked at 2:45. I broke my record this year. I clocked at 2:24. Not that I had any intention of running the entire time but B2B is actually quite impossible to run. I saw on the news today that there were approximately 62,000 people who participated in today's footrace.

What's next? I'm probably going to run the 5k run/walk event during the San Francisco Marathon in July. At least this way, I would be motivated enough to actually train for the Disneyland Half Marathon in September.

No comments: