Tuesday, October 21, 2008

13.1 miles -- because I can!

Running is a mental sport and all runners are insane. I joined 20,000 insane men and women run through the streets of San Francisco last Sunday, October 19th for the Nike Women's Half/Full Marathon. This was my second half marathon, the first being last year's Nike Women's Half Marathon.

This was probably the best run that I have ever had thus far in my life. I totally enjoyed myself and even if it was physically exhausting, I had a lot of fun and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I'm a slow runner. I clocked at 3:06 this year. I am so happy with my performance since I shaved 23 minutes off my time from last year and I even injured my right foot 2 weeks before the race.

I know, I know, I'm totally insane to be running a half marathon with an injured foot. However, I had put in a lot of time and effort in the past 3-4 months preparing for this race that I just could not let myself give up. I had very low expectations of my performance after my injury. It left me very frustrated since I really wanted to run this race. I have been looking forward to it since I found out that I got an entry this year. I had put in a lot of time and effort preparing for this race and I just knew I had to push myself or else I would be very upset at myself if I just gave up and didn't even try to run/walk it. Worse comes to worst, I was going to walk it the entire way.

I know that I was a lot more prepared running this race this year than last year. Going to yoga classes twice a week has tremendously helped in getting me ready for this race. I feel so much stronger and my breathing has definitely improved a lot.

I can't wait for next year's race! I am sooo totally running this race again if I can get an entry.

No comments: